Monday, April 20, 2020

My new toys just came in today. Start of an adventure.....

Order them from Taobao (China) about 8 days ago, received everything today.  I am so thrilled to tinker with them, that I went straight...... bad mistake...LOL


As you can see above, a new Raspberry PI 4 4Gb version rev. 1.2 (This is the updated 4B), and surprisingly cheaper to order and mail over than to get it in my country.  Since I have an extra 512Gb MSata at home, I ordered the MSata daughter board too.  Uses USB3.0 for connection, the special USB3.0 to USB3.0 adapter comes with it.

Ordered a realtime clock too, but I will need to do some modification to the pins, as it is obstructing the POE+ HAT, I had to modifying one of the cutout for the POE pin on the heatsink, as it was obstructing the the POE+ Hat pin from connecting to it.


POE Pin on the Pi with the heatsink cutout.


The POE connector on the POE+ Hat, you see the corners, the cutout was too small.


Had to file it down so that the POE+ Hat can be installed.

After having installed the POE+ Hat and the MSata daughter board to the Raspberry Pi 4, I realized I had issues with the spacer configurations.  I decided to remove the heatstink and just installed  the conventional heatsinks, since this Raspberry Pi 4 will be mainly used for off-grid access, kinda like a doomsday machine....still in progress, and I will document my journey here.


Found 3 leftover heatsinks from my toolbox.

Here are some photos of the work-in-progress.  Software end, I had prepared it previously.  I need to format the 512Gb MSata, and then transfer the Wiki zim files, ebooks, and other important files to it.





I will probably remove the POE+ Hat and re-purpose it for my other Raspberry PI 4, which I use for on-the-road work when I travel, I can always use POE to power my Pi if it is available.

I will post more close-up photos in my upcoming blogs in the coming days with a short write-up.

Have a good day and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update on the IIAB RPi4 server and Odroid C2 SBC

I am done with the setup of the RPi 4, which will be running Internet-in-a-box (IIAB in short). The downloading of wiki's zim files, all...