Sunday, April 19, 2020

How to setup your Raspberry Pi 4 as a WiFi Client and Wifi AP (Access Point) for noobs

When I travel, I try to travel light, that means only my old iPad Pro 1st Generation, my Raspberry Pi 4, my portable battery pack, plus my change of clothes for the trip.

The 2nd Generation iPad Pro comes with USB Type-C connector, so you can use it to power up your Raspberry Pi 4 and connect to it directly.  

My trusty old Gen 1 is still good, so no upgrade for a while.  I have Jupyter Notebook server running on my Raspberry Pi 4 and I use my iPad Pro to connect to it to do some coding.  You cannot connect to it using your iPad lightning connector.  That is why I needed my Raspberry Pi 4 to act as a WiFI AP, so that I can connect to it, and if I have WiFi internet access, my Raspberry Pi 4 can also connect to the internet using RaspBerry Pi 4 as a regular WiFi client.  Do remember you can access your Raspberry Pi via VNC as remote desktop access.  Here is a link on how to enable VNC server in your Raspberry Pi 4: https://howtoraspberrypi.com/raspberry-pi-vnc/

Here are the links I used to setup my Raspberry Pi 4 with RaspAP, please watch and read through everything below once, before you starts:

1.  YouTube guide that started everything. 


IMPORTANT:  After you had completed the installation of RaspAP on your Raspberry Pi 4, if you use WiFi to connect to your Raspberry PI and not the ethernet port, DO NOT REBOOT.  Access the RaspAP page using your web browser, make sure you enable the WiFi client AP mode, see picture below:

When the WiFi client AP mode is enabled, the Bridge AP mode will be disabled.  You can now REBOOT your Raspberry Pi 4.  After your Raspberry Pi 4 has rebooted, scan for the SSID, raspi-webgui . The default password to connect is ChangeMe.  Remember to change the SSID name if you wish and most important the SSID access password.  Additionally, change the admin login password for the RaspAP access page, the default login/password is admin / secret.

2.  Here are 2 important links to know:

https://raspap.com/   - Developer site, has tutorial on setup.  Good to read.

https://github.com/billz/raspap-webgui   - Code is on Github.  Good to read and post issues.

That is it!  Stay safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Update on the IIAB RPi4 server and Odroid C2 SBC

I am done with the setup of the RPi 4, which will be running Internet-in-a-box (IIAB in short). The downloading of wiki's zim files, all...