Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Just found this used Getac B300-G4, rugged milspec with I5-3320 for USD175.00 including shipping while checking out the TaoBao app, online China shopping platform.

As you know, my ongoing project to build a off-grid emergency server/computer using the Raspberry Pi 4B, I have been thinking whether I should use a pelican case or get a used non-functioning notebook and use the case for the Raspberry.

While searching through TaoBao, I came across various used rugged notebooks, Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 (core2duo) with the pivoting 10 inch LCD, CF-30 (core2duo), and Getac B300-G4 (i5-3320). There price difference between the Toughbook and Getac is around USD15.00. The Getac being more expensive at USD175.00 including shipping, but it has 4Gb ram, 320Gb HDD, and an Intel i5-3320 processor, whereas the Toughbooks had only 2Gb ram, no HDD, and an Intel core2duo processor. All 3 notebooks are in working condition, and are rated at 85 percent physical condition for scratches and bumps, battery can last about 2 hours. Getac unit comes with 1 year warranty ftom the shop, same with the Toughbooks. 

I guess it will be like a lottery, if you are lucky, you get a better condition one.

The Getac should have no problem running a lightweight Linux distribution, very easy route for creating what I want.

But if I want to fit 2 Raspberry Pi with the second Raspberry as a redundant unit(using GlusterFS Server). With the Raspberry Pi, in order to use the 13.3 inch (XGA 1024x768, 700 nits, readable under the sun), I need to get the controller for the Raspberry to drive it. As for the waterproof back-lit keyboard, I probably need to use a teensy to act as the USB controller. Since I have an old teensy 3.0 somewhere in my toolbox. 

For the Raspberry build, it will probably cost alot more than using the Getac for what I want. But, with the Raspberry build you will get the satisfaction of hacking together my dream system, which can be upgraded in the future, and with a long lasting battery life.... I have 12 x 3,400mAH 16850 batteries, which comes out to 40,800mAH. For a dual Raspberry Pi, it would last quite a long time.

There is a Getac B300-G5 with an Intel i5-4300 processor, and other upgrades, at USD390.00 including shipping, which cost USD215.00 more than the G4 version. 

Let me know what you think. Have a great day, stay safe. 

Here are the edited screenshot of the Getac B300-G4 and the specifications:






















1 comment:

  1. The USD175.00 is out of stock. The next option cost USD300.00 including shipping. I am undecided.

    ReplyDelete

Update on the IIAB RPi4 server and Odroid C2 SBC

I am done with the setup of the RPi 4, which will be running Internet-in-a-box (IIAB in short). The downloading of wiki's zim files, all...